The trailer for Puss in Boots the movie is out now. Although we can never be too sure if it'll be another shamelessly bad sequel to the Shrek franchise, these things can usually be predetermined by an educated analysis of the previews.
Let's take a look at DreamWorks' new official trailer.
Wow, where do I begin? First, allow me to list all of the factors that point this movie in a bad direction.
1. So far, an unoriginal plot (villains take hold of an ancient, mystical power and only one hero can stop them), check.
2. Spin-off of a well-established franchise, check.
3. Sassy, smart-aleck, female character that'll appeal to the teenage girl demographic, check.
4. Comic relief sidekick voiced by an actor that's popular with frat boys and hipsters (e.g. Jonah Hill, John C. Reilly, Michael Cera, Ricky Gervais, etc.), check.
5. Billy Bob Thornton, check. Because when I think of medieval Spain, I think of Billy Bob Thornton.
Yep, another soulless money-maker, a perfect addition to the Shrek franchise. Who wants to bet that this'll be in eye-popping 3-D? ... What am I saying!? Of course it will!
|The three main characters of DreamWorks' latest action romp. From right to left: Puss in Boots, Humpty "Alexander" Dumpty, and ... "Kitty Softballs"?|
Also, something else about that trailer bugs me, "Murderous outlaws have discovered an ancient power. With it, they can destroy the world."
I'm sorry, but what kind of dumb-ass villains would want to destroy the world? Where the hell are they going to live after they destroy it?
So yeah, anyway, you know where I'm placing my money on this. Puss in Boots will most likely be another CGI monstrosity by DreamWorks. Although, coming from a film studio that's notorious for unethical business practices with it's kids' movies, I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm calling it, the movie poster will feature Puss raising one eyebrow and idiots are going to think this film takes place in Mexico.